You may be thinking, Roanoke Jones isn’t a Christmas series. I have to use Elevate’s Professor Playtime’s Christmas Shop Of Wonders every Christmas because it is the only dedicated Christmas series from Elevate. Well, we are here to tell you that thanks to the uniqueness of Elevate’s curriculum series, you can use many different themes or lessons during Christmas time in your children’s ministry. One series FC Kid’s used last year is Roanoke Jones: Ace Detective!
Unpack God’s Word with the Animated Bible Lessons
The Bible Lessons in Roanoke Jones easily fit with Christmas and help the kids see the bigger picture of the Christmas Story. Leading up to lesson 8, Roanoke Jones Kids talks about the mystery of who Jesus is. This is a good lesson to build up to and use for the Christmas experiences at your church. Since it is the last week of the series, and it is important to go in order during this series, you will definitely want to make sure you do week 7 the week before you plan to show week 8 for Christmas. And Roanoke Jones Jr. is about God creating the world – one of the perfect tie-ins to the most creative time of year! (Did we mention there’s a weekly craft for Jr.?)
Transform The Kid’s Area Into A Victorian Steampunk Christmas
You can transform any environment to feel like Christmas with just a few Christmas trees and some snow. Here at Fellowship Church, we used Roanoke Jones during Christmastime last year in FC Kids. In order to turn this series into an old-fashioned Steampunk Christmas series, we added regular Christmas trees, Christmas lights, and wreaths to our Roanoke Jones sets. We also bought some fake snow and quilting batting and hung it around the room and on the set. Whether you go with red and green or browns and creams, we think the key to this transformation is to keep the decor simple with what you already have, but add specific elements that will make the most impact. Here a some ideas:
- Instead of cutting out paper and foamcore snowflakes, you can cut out cog shapes to make your “snowflakes” and hang them from the ceiling or your trees with fishing wire.
- Make one main “tree” in the entry to your kids area to tie in the theme and get their attention. We found tons of inspiring pictures of steampunk ‘trees’ online.
- Ask your stage leaders and check-in team to change their hounds-tooth jackets into red or green fitted jackets or their black bowler hats into festive top hast, or ask them to add some small Christmas pins or solid colored scarfs to their regular costumes.
- Wrap different sized boxes in brown butcher paper and red or white twine to place under the Christmas trees.
- Use wrapped ‘presents’ under the tree on your set as a way for kids to “draw” how many points their team receives for each element or game played during the service. Or make/purchase simple brown tags to hang on the tree with red ribbon that have different point numbers on them.
We have many Pinterest Boards where you can glean additional ideas! We used Victorian and Steampunk decorations for our sets but you can use any Christmas theme. To learn about more decorating ideas for Roanoke Jones and for Roanoke Jones Christmas, you can pin from the following boards:
- Set Design Pinterest Board,
- Christmas Shop Of Wonders Set Design Pinterest Board,
- Christmas Activities Pinterest Board,
- Christmas Set – Traditional and Woodsy Pinterest Board, and
- Christmas Set – Seussical and Bright Pinterest Board (when we used the Upside Down Town Series as our Christmas series).
Celebrate the Season with New Christmas Music Videos
With Roanoke Jones Digital, we have included the two original Christmas music videos we wrote in FC Kids! The children in our ministry loved these upbeat songs that celebrate the birth of Jesus and the true meaning of the season. These Christmas-themed videos are simple enough to use with any Christmas theme you pick and are sure to be perennial favorites. You can also find additional children’s Christmas Music Videos on ElevateKidsNow.com.
All of this is included so that you can easily transform the Roanoke Jones series into your Christmas series. We would love to see how you are decorating your children’s environment for Roanoke Jones and/or for Roanoke Jones Christmas! We would also love to hear any life change stories from your weekend or Christmas experiences. You can share your pictures and stories with us on our Facebook page. We are praying that God does big things in and through your ministry this Christmas!
What’s your favorite Elevate series to use for Christmas?